The church of Montagna with its majestic Neo-Romanesque façade is consecrated to St. Bartholomew the Apostle.
Image gallery: Parish Church of Montagna
The Church of St. Bartholomew rises majestically on the village road of Montagna. Already in the 1st millennium supposedly there was a place of worship here, a Romanesque church was then first mentioned in the 12th/13th century. The church tower with its sandstone ashlars still dates from this time. The new building was started in 1875: The neo-Romanesque front presents the Parish Church of Montagna as a true castle of God, a contrast to Castel d’Enna towering behind it.
A special jewel inside is the sandstone pulpit with the date 1489, surmounted by a Val Gardena carving pulpit, created in 1896 by Master Stuflesser. Apart from that the Parish Church of Montagna (Montan) was redecorated around 1900: The high altar shrine, the sculptures and the Mercy Seat, all by South Tyrolean artists, date from this period. The northern side chapel dedicated to the Holy Family is also worth a visit: The Baroque painting, a true masterpiece of the Bressanone painter Johann Georg Dominikus Grasmair (1691-1752), shows the Holy Family. The chapel also features the coat of arms of the then parish priest Giovanelli, painted around 1731.
open during the day
phone: +39 0471 810231, firstname.lastname@example.org