The baroque interior of the St. Gertrude Church, mentioned for the first time in 1343, is one of the most beautiful of South Tyrol.
Image gallery: Parish Church of Magrè
Outside, the Parish Church of Magrè, dedicated to St. Gertrude of Nivelles, is probably one of the most curious in the country: The steeple and the nave are separated by the Vicolo Parrocchia alley. But this was not always the case: In 1343 a church was first mentioned at this location. A century later the church was enlarged, and in 1513 the church tower was raised and provided with two beautiful bells. Finally, at the beginning of the 17th century, the church was planned so much larger that the nave had to move to the other side of the road.
Inside, the Church of St. Gertraud is one of the most beautiful of South Tyrol: Bright and clearly structured, the interior presents itself in baroque style. The first thing that catches the eye is the beautiful altar wall made of stucco marble with the fresco of St. Gertraud of Nivelles. The high altar is decorated with figures of angels and angel heads. Also the gilded silver monstrance with rich statuette decoration is a real treasure: It is an Augsburg work from the 17th century. By the way: Like Cortina, also Magrè once belonged to the St. Florian Church in Laghetti.
- Vicolo Parrocchia / Pfarrgasse 7 - 39040 - Magré / Margreid
- +39 0471 817263
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
Church service (in German language) Sundays at 8.30 am resp. 10 am (depending on the week).