The chapel near the two Monticolo Lakes is one of the few churches of South Tyrol dedicated to the Three Kings.
Monticolo (Montiggl), a component locality of Appiano, is a small hamlet near the two eponymous lakes. It was mentioned as Monticulum (small mountain) in one of the St. Vigilius Letters already back in 1191 AD. In the village centre rises the tiny Epiphany Church: It dates back to 1470 and was built in late-Gothic style. Also the bell tower has its own story: The only bell was cast around 1505 and is still rung. In 1518, the low pyramid roof of the steeple was added.
Besides Gothic details, the church features also Baroque and Renaissance elements: The baroque altar, for instance, was created in 1695 by Jörg Stieger from Casteldarne. The sacristy dates back to the late-Baroque. On the keystone of the choir, the coat of arms of the Lords of Tyrol is displayed. Before the San Michele Parish was founded in 1921, the Epiphany Church was pastored by Franciscan monks. A visit to this beautiful hamlet with its old buildings in the typical Oltradige Style, is well-worth during a walk around the Monticolo Lake or a hike through the Spring valley.