Slightly apart from the Wine Road, near Monte San Pietro at 1,520 m a.s.l., there’s the most important pilgrimage site of South Tyrol
Image gallery: Madonna di Pietralba Pilgrimage Site
- Map See map
On the Monte Regolo ridge, 24 km from Ora on the Wine Road, the Madonna di Pietralba Pilgrimage Site (Maria Weissenstein) rises impressively. This popular excursion destination dates back to a Marian apparition in 1553, when Leonhard Weissensteiner, a hermit, fell into a deep gorge and the Virgin Mother appeared to him. From then on, the original chapel commemorated the event: Over the centuries, it has been developed into an impressive pilgrimage site.
The present Baroque pilgrimage church with its magnificent high altar covered with gold and silver leaf dates back to 1638, in 1722 the monastery next to it followed. The vault frescoes are by Adam von Mölk from Vienna. Votive tablets decorate the interior, as well as the original chapel. Outside there is the Chapel of St. Peregrin Laziosi, patron saint of cancer patients. However, the façade with the staircase, in front of which Pope John Paul II spoke to the pilgrims in July 1988, is well known far beyond the borders thanks to live broadcasts. Madonna di Pietralba can also be reached on a hike: A Way of the Cross with 14 stations starts in Laives, a shorter route starts in Aldino (30 minutes).
freely accessible during the day
Guided tour to the discovery of history, art and tradition of the pilgrimage site at 4 pm (approx. 1 hour, reservation by phone till noon time, max. 10 persons).
Church service (in German language) on workdays at 10 am, on church holidays at 10 am, 2 pm and 4 pm - church service (in Italian language) on workdays at 11 am and 6.30 pm, on church holidays at 9 am, 11 am and 3 pm, from April to October also at 5 pm.
The Madonna di Pietralba Pilgrimage Site stays open all year round.