The building served as the parish church from 1921 to 1970, when San Michele became independent from the parish of San Paolo
The history of the Church of St. Michael the Archangel dates back to the 13th century. It served as the Parish Church of San Michele Appiano (St. Michael Eppan) until 1970. Already at the beginning of the 19th century it became too small, so the Holy Masses were read in the Capuchin Church. In the following period, the church was misused as a storage and assembly room. Today it serves as a funeral chapel, but its bell tower is still in use: Since the Capuchin Church, the new parish church, does not have a tower with a belfry, the bell of the St. Michael Church is still rung today.
The basic structure of the Old Parish Church of of San Michele Appiano is Romanesque, an exposed fresco above the entrance portal depicting St. Sigismund and Leonard dates back to the 14th century. Due to alterations, some parts are Gothic, such as the steeple and the star-ribbed vault, which heightened the church in the 16th century. It is connected to the adjacent buildings by two bridges via a narrow passageway. By the way: During excavations, bricks were found which indicate a Roman building on this site.
not open to the public