The St. Nicholas Church was built on old Romanesque walls and was decorated with a stellar vault around 1500
The municipality of Egna on the Wine Road (Neumarkt) has two important churches to offer: Besides the Gothic parish church there is a second main church, the St. Mary's Church in Villa. The parish church is dedicated to St. Nicholas of Myra and is located with the parish centre in the passage of the rectory. Already in the 13th century a Romanesque church was here, the tower still bears witness to it. The oldest part of the present church is the choir, realised in 1412 by master Konrad of Egna. A true masterpiece of high Gothic church architecture in South Tyrol!
In 1500 the nave with the star vault was added, in 1645 the side aisles. They are particularly worth seeing: the left one houses a pietà made of lime wood, the right one an oil painting by Horatius Giovanelli from Cavalese (1630). The vault in the right nave is also decorated with high Gothic frescoes depicting the four symbols of the Evangelists, which were only uncovered in the 1980s. On the outside, above the portal, there is a fresco of St. Nicholas from 1751, which - like the oil painting on the high altar - is by Master Marco Antonio Vincenzi from Cavalese.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
Church service (in German language) Sundays at 9 am - (in Italian language) Sundays at 11.30 am.