The Gothic St. Martin Church from the beginning of the 15th century was erected on the remains of an old chapel.
Image gallery: Parish Church of Cortina
“Little Venice”, as Cortina on the Wine Road (Kurtinig) is called, also has its own enchanting church: The St. Martin Church, built in 1462 in Gothic style, is located at the eponymous stone-paved square in the historical centre. As the village was often cut off from the church of St. Florian, the mother parish of Magrè and Cortina, by the floods of the Adige river, the inhabitants were allowed to keep the Eucharist here since 1539, as well as to build a baptismal font and their own cemetery.
A special feature is the bell from 1449: It is one of the oldest bells of South Tyrol and until a few years ago it was still rung during mass. Two keystones can be seen inside. One shows St. Martin and the date 1474, the other the Virgin Mary, because until the end of the 17th century the Parish Church of Cortina was consecrated to both saints. Also interesting is the cross in the archway above the sanctuary and two large altarpieces from the 17th century. The mosaic above the entrance portal, showing the church patron saint, was added in 1996.
open during the day
phone: +39 0471 860190, firstname.lastname@example.org