The Capuchin Church, consecrated to St. Anthony of Padua, can look back on a long and eventful history.
In 1599 the foundation stone for a simple church was laid at the corner of the Via Wolkenstein road and Via dei Cappuccini road, near the centre of Bolzano: Capuchin monks built their order church and monastery on the site where Wendelstein Castle, the Bolzano city castle of the Counts of Tyrol, once stood. This first Capuchin Church of South Tyrol was consecrated to St. Anthony of Padua. The interior of the church is also simple, worth seeing is the altarpiece on the baroque main altar, which was painted by Felice Brusasorci from Verona in 1600.
The history of the building was eventful: After the transfer of some parts of the present province of Bolzano to the Kingdom of Italy under Napoleon, it was closed in 1810, but six years later it was bought by the noblewoman Katharina von Hepperger and returned to the Capuchin Order. During World War II the church and monastery were severely damaged. Today, the "Hannah Arendt" School of Social Professions is located here, the garden is open to the public and, like the rest of the complex, is under monumental protection.
Church service (in German language) Saturdays at 7 am, Sundays at 8 am.