From the very first moment the natural scenery will tell you that you have come to the southern side of the Alps.
The capital of South Tyrol, the Oltradige area and the Bassa Atesina area boast a gentle Mediterranean climate with fairly mild temperatures. This is evidenced for instance by the natural phenomenon of the Spring Valley between Caldaro and Appiano, where snowdrops already blossom in late February. Vines, cypresses, palms and fruit orchards characterise the landscape.
With the sun shining on more than 200 days a year, you can look forward to lovely hot days. When in high summer temperatures rise to 35 degrees C, you can refresh in the numerous outdoor pools and lakes in this part of South Tyrol or take the cable car and head off to higher and thus cooler altitudes on the near-by plateaus and mountain passes exceeding the 1,000 m a.s.l. limit, such as San Genesio and the Renon (from Bolzano) or Mt. Mendola (from Caldaro).
Winter is the ideal time for relaxing walks on the local promenades, where in late winter the first spring flowers already sprout. Also several skiing areas are located in the surroundings, including Reinswald in the Val Sarentino valley and Mt. Corno del Renon. The average maximum and minimum temperatures throughout the year:
- January: min. -5 to max. 5 degrees C
- February: min. -2 to max. 8 degrees C
- March: min. 2 to max. 15 degrees C
- April: min. 7 to max. 20 degrees C
- May: min. 10 to max. 23 degrees C
- June: min. 12 to max. 26 degrees C
- July: min. 14 to max. 28 degrees C
- August: min. 13 to max. 28 degrees C
- September: min. 11 to max. 26 degrees C
- October: min. 5 to max. 18 degrees C
- November: min. -1 to max. 11 degrees C
- December: min. -3 to max. 6 degrees C