The St. Mary in Villa Church, one of the most beautiful late Gothic buildings of Tyrol, features a real rarity: a west tower.
Image gallery: St. Mary in Villa Church
The St. Mary in Villa Church is the second important church in the parish of Egna (Neumarkt) besides the Parish Church of St. Nicholas. It is a pilgrimage church, which was built between the 15th and 16th century, although a Romanesque building was already mentioned here in 1237. In 1412 Konrad von Neumarkt began the construction of the choir room of the present church, and at the beginning of the 16th century the vaulting was finally completed. The interior of the St. Mary in Villa Church appears elegant and is flooded with light due to the eight windows.
This elegant late Gothic building features heraldic paintings of the Payr of Caldiff and Khuen at their tombs, as well as beautiful murals on the nave and south wall. The latter were created in the 16th century by Conrad Waider, a painter of the late Gothic period. On the west side of the tower, a wooden roof protects the fresco of St. Christopher with the Child Jesus. In 1767, the church was desecrated by a flood and used as a storage room: Only in the mid-20th century that its value was recognised and it was restored.
open by appointment only