At the Market Square in Caldaro rises the Assumption of Mary Church with its 72.5 metres high Gothic steeple
Image gallery: Parish Church of Caldaro
At the northeast corner of the Market Square, one building towers above all others: It is the Caldaro Parish Church whose history goes back 850 years, when in 1191 a parish priest Nolpertus was first mentioned in a document. At that time a Romanesque church was located here, which was replaced by a Gothic hall building after a fire in 1376. In 1792 the current classicist building followed. The 72.5 m high church tower still dates back to the 14th century and is separated from the church. Inside the Parish Church of Caldaro (Kaltern) presents itself spacious and bright and still predominantly baroque. It is decorated with valuable artworks.
Among them, the ceiling painting by the Tyrolean Baroque painter Joseph Schöpf, the high altar by Teodor Benedetti (around 1740), a major work of Baroque altar building in Tyrol, and that of the South Tyrolean artist Michelangelo Unterberger (1744) are outstanding. The two side altars came from Venice to Caldaro in 1818. In former times, also a valuable winged altar by Hans Klocker decorated the church - it was then split among several collections. The choir fresco shows the coronation of the Virgin Mary and thus shows that the church is consecrated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary: On the 15th of August the church fair is celebrated.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
Church service (in German language) Saturdays at 6 pm (winter) resp. 7 pm (summer), Sundays at 8.30 am - bilingual church service (in Italian and German language) Sundays at 10.15 pm.