Two churches dedicated to St. Joseph stand next to each other in Vilpiano, a district of Terlano on the Wine Road
In the 17th century, more precisely in 1639, also Vilpiano got its own church, the Old St. Joseph Church. This church is one of the oldest churches in Tyrol, dedicated to St. Joseph. Its interior is simple and it was only in the 19th century that a tower was added to its exterior. As early as 1900 the St. Joseph Church became too small for the population and a new building was planned.
The construction of the Parish Church of St. Joseph the Worker was postponed by several decades due to the turmoil of the World Wars: In 1955 the new church, a simple sacred building, could be consecrated. The construction of the church tower was also postponed and was only completed in 1996. Inside, several artworks decorate the Parish Church of Vilpiano (Vilpian), including the life-size crucifix from the 17th century above the main altar, a loan from the Merano Municipal Museum. The two façade angels and the Jesus monogram above the round window, on the other hand, were created by the well-known Merano painter Franz Lenhart (1898 - 1992).
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
Church service (in German language) Saturdays at 7 pm (on the 1st, 3th and 5th Saturday of the month), Sundays at 10.15 am (on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month). The neighbouring Old St. Joseph Church is not open to the public.