In Vadena near Bolzano, more precisely in the inner part of the castle courtyard, there’s the St. Mary Magdalene Church.
The Parish Church of Vadena, a municipality stretching from the village centre towards south to the Novale al Varco Mountain Saddle with the Castel Varco ruin and down again to Campi al Lago at Lake Caldaro, has a special story to tell: A church dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, patron saint of women, pupils, prisoners, winemakers, glove makers and hairdressers, among others, already existed in the village in the 12th century. However, it stood further south, at the Birti Farm, where the Romanesque bell tower still rises today. The church building itself was demolished in 1796.
In the village centre, a bit hidden in the inner courtyard of the medieval castle, a small church was built in the 17th century, which was enlarged in the 19th century. Just behind the gate of the courtyard, a few steps lead up to the church, where Mary Magdalene can be seen on the high altar and two kneeling baroque angels on the right. This church has served as the Parish Church of Vadena (Pfatten) since the end of the 18th century.
phone: +39 0471 967010, firstname.lastname@example.org