The church tower of the ancient St. Mary Magdalene Church rises like a monument in the municipal area of Vadena.
Image gallery: Steeple at the Birti Farm
An interesting building awaits visitors who continue the road from the village centre of Vadena towards south. A lonesome Romanesque steeple - with 24.6 metres of height - towers above all the other buildings. As the bell tower, also the associated former St. Mary Magdalene Church was built in the 12th century: Whereas the church tower still rises there, the church itself was demolished in the 18th century, more precisely in 1796.
Inside the steeple at the Birti Farm, frescoes from 1410 AD were found, copies of which are preserved today in the Vadena Town Hall. The original pieces of art, however, can be admired in the Bolzano Municipal Museum. By the way: Still today, the St. Mary Magdalene Church serves as the parish church of Vadena. It was rebuilt in the inner castle courtyard in the centre of the village.
not accessible to the public