The former church of the Capuchin monks, dedicated to the Visitation of Mary, today serves as the Parish Church of San Michele.
Image gallery: Parish Church of San Michele Appiano
In the 17th century - according to the rules of the Capuchin monks - the simple little Church of the Visitation of Mary in San Michele in Appiano (St. Michael Eppan) was built. Since the second church of the parish, the Archangel Michael Parish Church, had become too small, services were held here from 1810 onwards. In 1971 the Capuchin monastery was closed down: The Church of the Visitation of Mary became the Parish Church of San Michele Appiano, extended by a modern annexe. In this annexe from the 1970s, a magnificent stained glass window by the Heidelberg glass artist Georg Müller depicts the struggle between St. Michael and the evil.
The interior of the church also houses some treasures from the past centuries: a village view of Appiano from 1675, the former high altarpiece and side altarpieces by J. Balmer from Lucerne (1875), large oil paintings by Johann Burgauner from Castelrotto and the Pietà, which originally came from the Calvary Church of the Holy Cross. The bronze monument in front of the church, a work by the Brunico artist Othmar Winkler, commemorates the fallen. Interesting: Since it is a former monastery church, the Parish Church of San Michele does not have a steeple, but only a wooden ridge turret, a turret placed on the roof ridge of the church.
open during the day
phone: +39 0471 662208, firstname.lastname@example.org