One of the three destinations of the Three Castles’ Walk and at the same time Appiano’s most famous castle towers above Missiano
Image gallery: Appiano Castle
- Map See map
- See video
Video : Appiano Castle as seen from above
video : A day in Appiano
video : Cycling through the apple blossom
video : Three Castles Walk in Appiano
One of the main fortified castles of South Tyrol is enthroned on a rugged rock face above Missiano (Missian): It is Appiano Castle (Burg Hocheppan, in German) which history dates back to 1125 AD and Lord Ulrich II of Appiano - some researchers, however, claim that it has emerged in a subsequent date. In 1158, the Lords of Appiano attacked a papal delegation and were punished by Henry the Lion with the demolition of the fortress. The castle was soon rebuilt. After the Counts of Enzenberg, the municipality of Appiano acquired the property in 2016.
Appiano Castle is well protected: The defending parts date back to the 16th century and are completed by a turret outside the circular wall. Also the Chalk Tower (Kreideturm), approx. 10 minutes away, is part of the complex. The pentagonal donjon, however, is one of the few of its kind. Inside the building there are a tavern and the castle chapel which boasts one of the best preserved fresco cycles all over Tyrol dating back to the 13th century. Appiano Castle can be reached from the village in a 45-minute walk - the chapel and the castle can be visited during a guided tour.
- Via Castel d'Appiano / Hocheppanerweg 16 - 39057 - Missiano Appiano / Missian Eppan
- +39 0471 662206
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
guided castle and chapel tour:
€ 7.00 adults
€ 5.00 seniors
€ 5.00 students
€ 4.00 groups (15 and more persons)
€ 3.00 children (up to 14 years)
€ 16.00 family ticket
Guided castle and chapel tour (in English, German and Italian language) from May to early November at 11 am, 1 pm, 2 pm and 3 pm (approx. 45 minutes), guided chapel tour at noon time and 4 pm (approx. 30 minutes). In case of bad weather, the tours may be cancelled.
The tavern is open during the warm months of the year, daily from 10 am to 6 pm, Thursdays till 10 pm, Wednesdays rest day (phone: +39 333 6698212). In October, open daily without rest day. The regional focus of the menue lies on dumplings, in autumn on Törggele dishes.
Season closure of castle and tavern in winter (November to April).