The castle called Turmhof-Tiefenbrunner - today a renowned winery - is located in Niclara near Cortaccia on the Wine Road
The area of Niclara, a component locality of Cortaccia, was has been settled since prehistory, a fact testified by bronze, stone and iron findings made in the Niclara Castle ruin right behind Turmhof Castle. Also the wine-growing tradition along the Wine Road dates back thousands of years, more precisely to the Raetians and Romans who cultivated vines in these particularly favourable areas. Castel Turmhof itself (Schloss Turmhof, in German) was first mentioned in 1225 as "Gut Linticlar". The tower and the stone-framed ogival doors still remind of its appearance in the Middle Ages.
In 1675, the property passed into the hands of the Pardatscher family - it marks the beginning of the more than 300 years long wine-growing tradition which is still continued. In 1848, the name was changed into Turmhof and only some years later, the owners participated in the 1st general agricultural exhibition of the Austrian Empire. The success spoke for itself: The white wine "Weiss" (vintage 1838) impressed the tasters. The Tiefenbrunner Estate-Turmhof Castle enchants its visitors today with guided cellar tours with wine tastings, a tavern and a garden with fabulous creatures.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
guided tour of the wine cellar:
€ 20.00 per person
with tasting of four wines
The opening hours correspond to the ones of the wine bar which opens on the 1st of December 2023, resp. in spring to the ones of the bistro which will reopen on March 18, 2024.
Guided tours of the wine cellar are offered in winter from January to March on request, season start 2024 of the guided tours of the castle park in early April.