The fairy-tale Gothic castle above the village of San Michele Appiano houses a small hotel in its western wing
Image gallery: Englaro Castle
- Map See map
The history of Englaro Castle (Schloss Englar, in German) dates back to the year 1256 when it was first mentioned in written documents. At that time it was built as the residence for the Lords of Firmian, presumably on gravel, as the river in this area repeatedly flooded the surroundings. The name derives from this fact: "in glara" means "in the gravel valley". The two coat of arms above the main entrance tell about the union of the Firmian family - probably due to a wedding in the 16th century - with the family of the Lords of Thun. In 1621, the property was sold to the Earls of Khuen.
Englaro Castle is considered the purest Gothic castle of South Tyrol, recognisable by its steep hipped roof and the doors and windows, which show the characteristic elements of the late Gothic period from 1450 to 1550. Works for an annex began in the 15th century, but it has never been completed. Today this area serves for outdoor celebrities. A little away from the manor there’s also the St. Sebastian Chapel from 1475 which houses precious stonemasons and frescoes from the 16th century. The present owner, the Khuen-Belasi family, manages a hotel in the western wing.
- Via Pigano / Pigenostrasse 42 - 39057 - San Michele Appiano / St. Michael Eppan
- +39 0471 662628
accessible only for guests of the house