One of the remarkable buildings of Nalles is Swan Castle which is located at the end of the Sirmiano Gorge
Image gallery: Swan Castle
- Map See map
- See video
Video : Nalles, the Rose Village
A Renaissance castle rises in Nalles, the village which marks the end of the Wine Road. It is Swan Castle which is closely linked to Bavaro Castle above it. When the latter started to decay in the 16th century, the Earls of Payrsberg moved to the more comfortable Swan Castle in the valley. Its history dates back to 1286 when it was mentioned for the first time as "Haus in der Gaul". The present appearance with the typical elements of the Oltradige construction style, however, dates back to Jakob von Boymundt-Payrsberg which had it rebuilt in the years between 1560 and 1575.
The name itself derives from the swan in the coat of arms of the Earls of Payrsberg. Other owners followed, including the Earls of Trapp and the Carli family. Until a few years ago, Swan Castle (Schwanburg, in German) housed one of the oldest private wine cellars of South Tyrol: The castle served as the administration building. French oak vats as well as wood barrels of the period of Maria Theresa of Austria could be seen in the old cellar, whereas the 15 ha large vineyards produced the grapes for the "Castel Schwanburg" wine. The castle can only be visited from the outside.
- Via Schwanburg / Schwanburger Strasse 25 - 39010 - Nalles / Nals
- +39 0471 678619
not accessible to the public