Castel Aichberg which resembles more a residence than an actual castle is located in Appiano Monte.
Along the road to Appiano Monte (Eppan Berg) there's a manor surrounded by a large garden: It is Aichberg Castle (Schloss Aichberg, in German) which history dates back to the 14th century when a fortified tower stood in this place. It was replaced by a farm building and the present 12 m high tower in the north-west wing featuring three floors and crenellations. From the 17th century on, the castle was rebuilt several times. Back than, the Von Aichner family (ennobled to Aichner von Paschbach zu Aichberg in 1632) took over the property and gave it its name.
The present appearance of Aichberg Castle dates back to 1870 and to Josef von Zastrow. It displays the typical Oltradige construction style, which characterises numerous buildings in this area and along the Wine Road with its battlements, turrets, inner courtyards and oriels. The present owners, the Earls Khuen von Belasi, renovated the manor with its historical elements - the terrazzo floors and round arched windows, a fresco by Peter Fellini at the entrance and ancient paintings in the chapel - in 2001. Castle Aichberg houses a B&B today.
accessible only for guests of the house