The medieval ruin of Castelforte Castle, built on a porphyry rock at 450 m a.s.l., seems to guard the Valle dell’Adige valley.
A castle ruin rises in a mixed forest west of the village of Andriano (Andrian) - it is Castelforte Castle (Burg Festenstein, in German), erected on a rock spur high above the Gaido Gorge in the Middle Ages. The complex was mentioned for the first time in 1220 AD. In 1503, the first building - a single-floor pentagonal tower - was destroyed by a fire and rebuilt soon afterwards. In 1910 finally, Castelforte Castle passed into the hands of the German Councillor Vogel who had it restored and extended by a residential part with an inner courtyard and a porch with arrow slits.
The access to the castle has always been complicated: A special construction similar to a drawbridge led to the first gate several metres high above the floor. Afterwards two gates had to be passed between the defensive walls to enter the narrow inner courtyard. Castelforte Castle is located in the municipal area of Appiano and can be reached from Andriano, Predonico or Gaido in a walk of approx. one hour. Also an extension of the famous Three Castles' Walk is possible in order to include this small adventurous castle. It is closed to the public for safety reasons.
freely accessible during the special opening times