A wonderful ambience for cultural events is located in the quarter of Pigano in Appiano: Ganda Castle.
Image gallery: Ganda Castle
Situated on a hill near Pigano, there's Ganda Castle: Its history dates back to the 15th century, when a farm called Maierhof stood in this place. Faced with the threat of an attack by Heinrich von Rottenburg, the building was transformed into a larger one. At those times, the property and its inhabitants were protected by their belonging to nobility, but only until von Rottenburg's death. Later on, Ganda Castle was given as a fief to the Counts von Khuen von Belasi, who gave it its present appearance with the round towers: Their coat of arms can be seen above the entrance.
In 1698, the Chapel of St. Mary of the Snows with the Humpel organ and its carved altar with a picture of the Virgin Mary by Jakob Poder from Caldaro was added. The rooms of the manor are magnificently furnished with coffered wooden ceilings, folding doors with inlays and tiled stoves from the 16th and 17th centuries. Ganda Castle (Schloss Gandegg, in German), located inside a large park, cannot be visited, but opens its doors for events such as classical concerts. A pleasant walk takes you today from San Michele past the castle to the natural phenomenon of the Ice Holes.
- Via Piganò / Pigenostrasse - 39057 - San Michele Appiano / St. Michael Eppan
- +39 0471 662206
open only for guests of an event
depends on the event