The medieval complex of Montani Castle from the 13th century, also called Montan Castle, is located in Appiano Monte.
Image gallery: Montani Castle
In the Via Sassocroce road, near the Prielhof estate above the village centre of San Michele Appiano, stands a venerable building: Montani Castle (Burg Montan, in German). It was built in the 13th century for the Lords von Montani and was mentioned for the first time in written documents in 1374. In the 14th century, however, Georg von Montani, also known as Georgius de Montanea, took over the property. In the centuries to come, the castle changed hands several times.
The structure of the building is - even it doesn’t seem so at first glance - clearly that of a castle complex: A three-storey fortification tower, once decorated with crenellations, a residential building with arcades and a beautiful wooden portal, as well as a hip roof, that’s to say a roof where all sides slope downwards to the walls, characterise Montani Castle.
Interesting: The masonry is well visible because it wasn’t plastered, and shows clearly the various building activities. The two residential towers date back to the 13th century and were united by an intermediate structure 400 years later. The double lancet windows and the two sundials date back to the late Middle Ages. Also elements of the Late Gothic, the Renaissance and the Baroque, however, are still visible. Montani Castle is inhabited, so it can only be visited from the outside.