Castel Corba, one of the destinations of the Appiano Castle Walk, rises below the Boymont castle ruin in Missiano
The history of Corba Castle, located amidst vineyards in Missiano (Missian), dates back to 1236. In that year, the dominating part of the property, the residential tower, was erected by the Lords of Korb, descendants from a house of ministry officials serving the Lords of Appiano. In 1314, the castle appeared in a document as "von dem Chorbe de Eppianno". Several Tyrolean noble families alternated as owners till 1839, when the merchant Johann von Putzer from Bolzano bought the ruin and had it converted into a residence with decorative merlons and a chapel.
An interesting fact: Friedrich Tessmann, a well-known Tyrolean historian which gave his name to the Provincial Library in Bolzano, was born in 1884 at Corba Castle (Schloss Korb, in German). In 1918, the Dellago family took over the complex, dedicated itself to fruit- and wine-growing and opened a four star hotel in the venerable walls. A nearby bunker of the Alpine Wall serves as wine cellar of the Schloss Hotel Korb today. The famous Appiano Castle Walk leads past the three beautiful castles Appiano, Corba and Boymont (a ruin).
accessible only for guests of the house