The ruin of Castel Bavaro, which history dates back to the 13h century, towers high above the Rio Sirmiano Gorge.
In the 13th century, the Payr family - ministry officials of the Lords of Appiano - had a castle built on a rock spur near Sirmiano di Sotto. It was made of a four-storey donjon, a residential building on the south side and a late-Gothic castle chapel. In the 16th century, the knight Jakob von Boymont-Payrsberg had Bavaro Castle enlarged by appropriate fortification, an entrance gate with an emblem illustrating the year 1560 and a corner rondel in the north. Only a few decades later, around 1600, the family left the castle and moved to the newly built Swan Castle in the valley.
Only when the last Count of Payrsberg died in 1791 the property was passed on. The present owner, the Malpaga family, uses the renovated northern part of the castle as a farm building. Part of the complex is also the Hunting Tower in Sirmiano di Sopra which was used as a summer and hunting residence and is also illustrated on the municipal coat of arms of Nalles. Today the path no. 9 leads in approx. one hour from Nalles to Bavaro Castle (not accessible to the public).
Current COVID 19 rules:… read more
not accessible to the public