The majestic property of Castel Campan in Villa di Mezzo, a district of Caldaro, is surrounded by an extensive park
In 1268, when the Von Campan family moved to Caldaro, Concius von Campan had a residential tower built for his family in Villa di Mezzo (Mitterdorf). His great-grandson Heinrich was even entrusted with the administration of the village in 1353, a high position. When the Von Campan family died out in 1499, the castle changed hands several times. Extensions and alterations, mainly carried out in the Renaissance period, followed. In 1850, the Counts of Enzenberg took over the property and renovated it.
The Counts of Enzenberg can look back on a long winegrowing tradition and produce excellent wines, such as a Merlot and Cabernet Franc called "Castel Campan" in the family-owned wine estate Manincor near Lake Caldaro. Campan Castle (Schloss Campan, in German) impresses today with its beautiful park, the forecourt and the lovely inner courtyard. Inside it offers precious wall paintings, the St. Notburga Chapel from the 15th century and the historic wine cellar. Campan Castle is inhabited and can only be visited from the outside.
Castel Campan is inhabited and visible only from the outside.