The “Seeschlössl” on the western shore of the Big Monticolo Lake reminds of an enchanted place out of a fairytale
Image gallery: Lake Castle
- Map See map
- See video
Video : The Monticolo Lakes as seen from above
video : The Monticolo Lakes
video : The Monticolo Forest by bike
On a tour around the Big Monticolo Lake in Appiano (Eppan), a romantic castle-like building rises near the reed belt in the middle of the forest. It’s the Lake Castle which dates back to the 19th century. This "Seeschlössl" - in fact, "Schlössl" means small castle in German language, and "See" is the German word for lake - was built around 1888 by Josef von Zastrow, a guest from Germany, who was also in possession of Aichberg Castle and both Monticolo Lakes. The medieval style of the castle with its lancet windows fits perfectly into the surrounding landscape.
Around 15 years later, the whole terrain passed into the hands of the municipality of Appiano. For decades now, the castle has been a popular image and photo motif. Max Sparer (1886 - 1968), a local painter and illustrator focused on Tyrolean landscapes and the work of farmers, depicted it on many of his paintings. His works were exhibited, for example, at the Budapest International Art Exhibition in 1930 and the Biennale in Venice in 1932. He retired to the Lake Castle in 1931 and died impoverished there in 1968. The enchanting castle can only be seen from the outside today.
- Big Monticolo Lake - 39057 - Monticolo Appiano / Montiggl Eppan
- +39 0471 662206
not accessible to the public