The complex of Palù Castle and the Schulthaus Residence in Appiano houses the Museum of Medieval Culture of Living
Image gallery: Palù Castle
- Map See map
- See video
Palù Castle (Schloss Moos, in German) and the Schulthaus Residence - various residential houses and farm buildings - are hidden in Appiano Monte. Slightly below, there is the related St. Catherine Chapel. Already in 1270, a small castle and two residences, inhabited by various families, were located in this place. Later on, the small castle was integrated into the much larger building of Palù Castle. When the noble family of its owners died out, the possession passed into the hands of the Von Schulthaus family by marriage: From the buildings emerged Palù-Schulthaus Castle.
In 1958, the merchant Walther Amonn from Bolzano purchased the complex and had it renovated. During these works, whitewashed frescoes from the 15th century showing e.g. the topsy-curvy world, the war of cats and mice and the phallus tree were discovered. In 1985, the Museum of Medieval Culture of Living was opened in these venerable walls. Inside there are a Gothic parlour and implements from the last centuries. Castel Palù and the St. Catherine Chapel (also open to the public) are in the hands of the Walther Amonn Foundation which administers the complex.
Castel Palù-Schulthaus is accessible only on reservation and during a guided tour.
Museum for Medieval Culture of Living:
€ 7.00 adults
€ 5.00 children (6-12 years)
€ 5.00 seniors
€ 5.00 students
€ 5.00 groups (10 and more persons)
€ 2.50 school classes (up to 18 years)
€ 15.00 family ticket
free for children under 6 years
Guided tours are offered from Tuesday to Sunday in English, German and Italian language (approx. 1 hour). Season closure in winter (November to Easter).