The historical building - more of a residence than a castle - is located at the end of the well-known Lungotalvera Promenade in Bolzano.
A residential tower called Karnol stood in this place near the town centre of Bolzano already in the 13th century: It was erected back then at the junction of Bolzano-Val Sarentino valley and San Genesio-Gries. Previously, here there was a bridge across the Talvera, the river coming from the Val Sarentino and joining the Isarco river in Bolzano. The castle itself arose from the extensions and alterations of the residential tower between the 14th and the 16th century. Its German name, Schloss Klebenstein, however, comes from one of the owner families in the course of time.
The present appearance dates back to the time around 1900, when the curtain wall with embrasures, the gate complex with crenels, the second tower and a square pavilion were added. Also some residential wings and the Baroque St. Anthony Chapel are part of the complex which can be found at the end of the Lungotalvera Promenade close to the Talvera Meadows and at the beginning of the St. Oswald Promenade near Roncolo Castle. The manor is in the hands of the Von Aufschnaiter family today and cannot be visited because the residential units are rented.
not accessible to the public