The Herbs’ Square, called Obstmarkt, goes back to the year 1277: For 500 years already, a daily market has taken place here.
The Piazza delle Erbe square is a popular place between the Via Museo road and the Arcades. The stalls sell their goods here all year round, from Monday morning to Saturday noon.
The square (Obstplatz, in German) has existed since 1277, when Meinhard, Duke of Carinthia, tried to take over the town, had its gates and walls demolished and the moats filled in. The tradition of selling goods here, however, dates back to the 16th century. While at that time, however, poultry and other products were still on sale, today you can see a colourful selection of flowers, spices, bread, fruit and vegetables. An inscription at the corner of the Via Museo road reminds of the “Sonnenwirt” tavern, where already Goethe and Emperor Joseph II. stayed overnight.
The Neptune Fountain on the Piazza delle Erbe, designed by G. Mayr from Fiè and commonly known as the “Gabelwirt”, was chosen as one of the 100 most beautiful urban sculptures of Italy. The bull at the entrance to the Arcades, on the other hand, is the work of Guido Anton Muss, a South Tyrolean sculptor of the last century. Today, the Piazza delle Erbe is also home to several pubs, such as the famous “Nadamas” and small original shops. By the way: In autumn roasted chestnuts, called “Keschtn” in the local dialect, are offered at the square. What a scent!