The Piazza della Vittoria square with its eponymous monument near the Talvera Bridge was created in the 1930s.
Image gallery: Piazza della Vittoria (Victory Square)
Between the eastern end of the Corso Libertà road and the Talvera Bridge, the Piazza della Vittoria square of Bolzano is located, which was renamed for a short period Piazza della Pace (Peace Square) in 2002.
In the 1930s, after South Tyrol had fallen to the Kingdom of Italy in 1919 and become its northernmost province, the fascist regime commissioned the town planner Marcello Piacentini to create a representative Italian quarter in Bolzano. It is characterised by a boulevard, the Corso Libertà, with large houses with massive facades and underneath an arcade, and leads to the Victory Square with the Monument to Victory in Zandobbio marble, which comes from Bergamo. Today it houses a permanent underground exhibition that tells about the town and its history.
In its surrounding, the citizens of Bolzano gather to relax. This is where the Talvera Meadows recreation area with its Lungotalvera Promenade is located. From here you can also reach the traffic-calmed zone of the historic town centre: The Arcades are about 200 metres from here. The weekly market is held every Saturday on the Victory Square (Siegesplatz, in German).