In the oldest part of Bolzano, at the Piazza del Grano with the Vicolo della Pesa alley, the grain market used to be held.
The small Piazza del Grano square, central part of the market settlement founded in the 12th century around the Bolzano Arcades, is located at the eastern end of the Via Argentieri alley.
The palace of the Prince-Bishops of Trento, who had the Bolzano Arcades built in the 12th century, once stood at the Piazza del Grano (Kornplatz, in German). However, this residence was probably destroyed soon afterwards, in 1277, by Meinhard, Duke of Carinthia, who wanted to take over the town. Already in 1271 the place was mentioned as “Cormarch”, then in 1288 as “Chorenmarkt”. As the name suggests, the grain and agricultural market used to be held here. The southern part of the square was called Piazza dei Maiali (Pig Square), because farm animals were traded there.
In the Casa della Pesa (Weighing-House), a beautiful building from 1634, which today houses artists’ studios, the public scale could be found until 1780. This scale can still be seen on a fresco by Albert Stolz in the Vicolo della Pesa alley (Waaggasse, in German), which connects the Grain Square with the Arcades. The door hinges of the former town gate can also be seen there on closer inspection.