It is worth planning precisely how to get to Bolzano during Advent in order to reach your destination quickly and without traffic jams.
Image gallery: How to reach the Bolzano Christmas Market
To really enjoy the Christmas atmosphere in the provincial capital, a stress-free journey is the first step. Especially on long weekends, South Tyrol's roads are congested, with cars and buses carrying thousands of visitors swarming to the 5 original South Tyrolean Christmas Markets. In Bolzano, an electronic parking guidance system regulates the available spaces in the car parks to ensure a better overview already when arriving.
The centre was closed to traffic a few years ago, only authorised vehicles are allowed to pass through: It is therefore advisable to park in the outer areas of the town and then take the local bus lines or get to Piazza Walther from the train stations of Bolzano South or Ponte Adige. Car parks and parking spaces for mobile homes are well signposted, and the main railway station is also only a 5-minute walk from the central Piazza Walther.
Coming from the South (Trentino/Wine Road):
- motorway exit A22 Bolzano South (or SS 12)
- parking: Ponte Adige (limited parking spaces) or Bolzano South/Fair (1,300 spaces)
- to the town centre: there are buses which run every 15 minutes, moreover the train from the Bolzano Fair (3 minutes) or from Ponte Adige (5 minutes) takes you to the main station
Coming from the North (Brennero Pass/Valle Isarco):
- motorway exit A22 Bolzano North (or SS 12)
- parking: car park Bolzano Centre (Bolzano Centro, 1,200 spaces)
- to the town centre: 2-minute walk to the Piazza Walther square
Coming from the West (Switzerland/Merano):
- MeBo exit Bolzano (SS42 and 38)
- parking: near the "Palasport" city hall in the Via Resia road (500 spaces)
- to the town centre: the buses run about every 10 minutes to the centre
Important phone numbers:
- Tourist authority Bolzano: +39 0471 307000
- Municipal police: +39 0471 997788
- Traffic Information Centre: +39 0471 200198