Many a family trip or bad weather day on the South Tyrolean Wine Road leads to one of the five cinemas.
Between excursion destinations and treats for the palate, natural spectacles and event highlights, the Wine Road features also five cinemas so that a relaxing afternoon with popcorn in front of the big screen always remains an option. Most of them, that’s to say four, are located in Bolzano. These include the tradition-steeped halls of the Filmclub Bolzano - the annual venue of the Bolzano Film Festival Bozen - and of the Cineforum as well as the newer and bigger halls of the Cineplexx in the Via del Macello road and the UCI Cinemas in the Twenty shopping centre.
The fifth cinema, however, can be found in Caldaro and has its very own story to tell. It is the “Cinema at the Station” (Kino im Bahnhof, in German), located in a real train station - the former station of the Oltradige Railway. It was restructured and transformed into a state-of-the-art cinema with the latest technique in 2010. Children’s films and international blockbusters in German language are screened there today. A few years ago, the “Filmtreff Kaltern” also reintroduced the tradition of the Summer Cinema in the beautiful inner courtyard of Castel Windegg.
Caldaro has always had a leading role regarding movie screenings. It was in 1895, when the first public movies were shown in Paris and Berlin, and only 16 years later also the village on the Wine Road had its own “Cinematographic Theatre”. A small and highly frequented sensation! In 1952, it changed its name into “Laurin Cinema Caldaro” and stayed a popular meeting point for the local people also for the next four decades. When it had to be closed in the 1990s, the “Filmtreff Kaltern” was founded to continue the tradition of the local village cinema.