Caldaro village is the market place and the seat of the municipality of Caldaro.
Image gallery: Caldaro village
The centre of Caldaro is the seat of the town-hall. This is also where concerts of the local music bands take place. Here farmers offer their fresh products for sale on Tuesdays. In the village of Caldaro, there is also the South Tyrol Wine Museum, seat of the Wine Academy, the cultural centre as well as a series of shops and restaurants. The centre of Caldaro is characerised by residential buildings and wonderful ancient and new fountains.
The parish church of Caldaro was mentioned for the first time in 1191, in the second half of the 14th century the nave was destroyed by a devastating fire and had to be rebuilt. Only the church steeple, 72.5 m high, remained undamaged. The South Tyrol Wine Museum, however, tells the story of history of vine-growing. The development of the methods of vine-growing are presented on a little educational trail. The Wine Academy teaches knowledge regarding vine-growing and wines. In other words, those who are interested in this topic are well-served.
What you also do not have to miss in Caldaro is a tasty Italian cappuccino, enjoying the sun on one of the tables on the market square Piazza del Mercato!