Castel Turmhof-Tiefenbrunner is located at Niclara in the municipality of Cortaccia in the south of the province.
Image gallery: Castel Turmhof-Tiefenbrunner
Already in prehistoric times this area was inhabited, a fact that has been testified by archeological findings of bronze, stone and iron. Behind Castel Trumhof there is the castle ruin bearing the name Niclara and this is also where you can see these items. Already the Romans cultivated their vineyards in this area, as the location is perfect for growing high quality grapes. Already in 1225 „Gut Linticlar“ has been mentioned in a document. The name was changed in 1848 and the definite name is Castel Turmhof.
In 1675 the castle passed on to the family of Karl Pardatscher. The main occupation of the owner was viticulture, with eight different types of wine he participated in the first general agricultural exhibition of the Austrian empire. The success spoke for itself. The white wine with the name „Weiß“ (white) of the vintage 1838 particularly impressed the tasters.
The tradition of wine producers has been preserved up to present times. Also a fairytale park, which has been ideated by Johann Tiefenthaler at the end of the 19th century, attracts visitors, as in certain opening hours the castle is also accessible for the public.
The estate Tiefenbrunner - Castel Turmhof, up to present times, has never been mains-operated as it has always had an own power utility at its disposal. Up to WWII this power station also supplied Cortaccia and Magré. Since 2000 a new power station is in action, the old version remained in place as a testimony of former times.