In the centre of Bolzano and nevertheless in the green there is the famous Mareccio Castle.
The oldest tower of the castle has been constructed in 1194 by Berthold von Maretsch, who according to documents was one of the commissioners of the Counts of Tyrol as well as judge of Bolzano.
At the beginning there was only the massive donjon in the vineyards, which can still be seen today. In the 13th and 14th century different owners enlarged the little complex. Also the circular wall with defensive corridor and crenels date back to these days.
In the 16th century Castel Mareccio received its contemporary shape and appearance under the rule of the Römer family. Four round towers were added and also frescos were commissioned in Renaissance. These paintings illustrate philosophers of former times, which bears witness of a high educational levels of commissioners. Even a castle moat, filled with water, still existed in 1650.
In the 80s the castle complex has been softly restored.
Today the castle serves as venue for fairs, concerts and event centre and can be reached on foot from the centre of Bolzano. You can enjoy a perfect view on the castle from the Talvera promenade.