This ruin characterises the landscape surrounding lake Caldaro.
Castel Chiaro towers above lake Caldaro and is considered to be the symbol of the area round the warmest lake of the Alps. This castle belongs to the municipality of Vadena. Probably Castel Chiaro has been built in 1200 by the Lords of Rottenburg. The main building has got a spiry form and is characterised by crenellations at the top. Remainings of the round tower are preserved inside. The main building features a shield wall, which in fact has not been built because it was absolutely necessary, as the castle has been built on a hill and was quite safe from assaults. Obviously the building owner wanted to show off and built a shield wall. The towers that have been built later are still clearly recognisable.
Castel Chiaro has been in possession for a long time by the Early of Rottenburg, by the governors and prince-bishops of Trento. Nowadays the Lords of Enzenberg are the owners of the castle.
Since 1610 Castel Chiaro is uninhabited, only from the 20th century the walls could have been preserved. Castel Chiaro is easily reachable, in parts the path follows the old castle path. It is also suitable for children.