Castelforte Castle, a rather small building, rises high above the Val d’Adige. Some component localities as well as the village of Andriano are located at its foot.
Image gallery: Castel Castelforte
In the west of Andriano, in the famous and particularly beautiful mixed forest, you come across a ruin that is called Castelforte Castel. Dating back to the Middle Ages, this castle rises high above the gorge of Gaido, enthroning a porphyry rock spur in an altitude of 450 m. Despite of the fact that it is located outside the municipal area of Appiano, it can be reached within one hour starting from Andriano.
However, the exact year of construction could still not have been revealed. First mentioned in 1220, the castle was devastated by a huge fire and rebuilt later on. In the mid 17th century a certain Franz von Lanser enfeoffed the castle. In 1910 the German Kommerzialrat Vogel purchased this building and has it restored.
Only a single-floor pentagonal tower enthroned the rock spur. On confined space a great hall with castle courtyard as well as a porch with arrow slits was added. The access to the castle used to be and is still is rather complicated. A special construction made the first gate, several metres of hight above the floor, accessible. Today, however, there is nothing left of this draw-bridge. Inside the castle complex, that unfortunately is locked today, there were still two further gates to be passed in order to reach the narrow inner courtyard. In the course of recent restoration works, the pyramid roof was added to this tower.
Castel Castelforte, as we mentioned above, can be reached from Predonico, Gaido or Andriano. Our tip: a combination of the three castles’ walk (follow the signpost “Dreiburgenwanderung”) and the trail leading to the gorgeous castle.