Gries - San Quirino

The most densely populated and largest city district is composed of the old village of Gries as well as San Quirino.

In the time of fascism, around 1925, Gries and San Quirino have been made part of Bolzano. Before, Gries has been a separate village and widely known as spa town. When South Tyrol became part of Italy, more and more Italian speaking people settled down in Bolzano. As Bolzano as capital became to small people simply started to settle down at Gries, which was then included into the city map. Today Gries is the most densely populated city district, located in the north west of the centre and bordering on the Talvera meadows, which are really popular with the inhabitants of Bolzano.

The Benedictine abbey Muri Gries and the appropriate church which is dedicated to St. Augustinus, characterise Piazza Gries. Originally this building was intended to be an abbey, later on it became a castle and chapter of canons. Fago, San Maurizio, San Giorgio, Guncina, Sabbia, San Quirino and a part of Bivio as well as the centre of Gries belong to this district. Also the Victory Monument, an important testimony of the time of fascism, is part of Gries-San Quirino. A wide agricultural area in these days was covered by large boulevards and arcades. Street names such as Corso Italia, Corso della Libertà, Viale Duca d’Aosta or Via Orazio refer to this area which is testimonial of Italian architecture in the 30s and 40s, located between the historic district and the centre of Gries.

Suggested accomodation: Gries - San Quirino

  1. Hotel Post Gries
    Hotel

    Hotel Post Gries

tips and more infos