The Gothic castle above San Michele of Appiano is a real fairytale-castle.
Castel Englaro has apparently been constructed on gravel, as the river in the area repeatedly flooded the surroundings. „Englar“ derives from „in glara“, which can be referred to the gravel. This castle has never been intended to be defensive, but had a residential scope.
Cristof von Firmian had this castle built in 1470 for his son Bartholomäus, but he died in 1486 and could not complete the construction. In 1450 the San Sebastian church has been built and in 1528 the western part was added to the residential building.
In the same year also Bartholomäus died and the castle changed hands by marriage. Earl Kaspar Thun now appears in official documents. His son, count Arbogast, sold the castle in 1621 along with the park and church to the Earls of Khuen, who inhabit the castle since this point of time.
Castel Englar is considered to be the purest Gothic castle. Clearly recognisable are the hip roof, the doors and windows, which best illustrate the elements of late Gothic in the time of 1450 and 1550.
An annex has been constructed in the 15th century, but has never been completed. Today this area in the park serves for outdoor celebrities. Farm buildings dating back to the 18th century are located in the castle courtyard.
The chapel is really striking when driving across this area. Not far from the castle there is the park, which has equally been constructed in Gothic style. Built in 1450, the castle has been inaugurated in 1475. Two pointed arch portals characterise the entrance and exit of the chapel. Moreover, according to Roman custom, the chapel is not illuminated from north. Steeple and altar recalls the late Middle Ages.
Precious stonemasons and paintings decorate the inner church. It seems that the artists working in the parish church of San Paolo, Merano or in the church of Egna, have been working also in this church. Castel Englar today is in possession of the Khuen-Belasi family, which also receives guests inside the ancient walls.